Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Disability support services

Autism Queensland is a community based, not-for-profit, Incorporated Association dedicated to bringing about positive change in the lives of people with Autism and their families.  They provide a comprehensive range of specialised services and support for people of all ages living with Autism and their families throughout Queensland.
The Better Start for Children with Disability (Better Start) initiative includes:
•up to $12,000 in funding for early intervention services and treatments for eligible children
•additional assistance for eligible children who live in outer-regional, rural or remote locations to help with the costs of accessing services
•a Medicare item for the development of a treatment and management plan for eligible children up to the age of 13
•Medicare items for up to four allied health diagnostic services, the results of which contribute to the development of the treatment and management plan, and
•Medicare items for up to 20 relevant allied health services in total for each eligible child up to the age of 15 provided the treatment and management plan is in place before the age of 13.
More information on early intervention services is available below.More information on the Medicare items is available elsewhere on this site.
Who is eligible to receive support under Better Start?Eligible children are aged under six years and have been diagnosed with:
•Down syndrome
•cerebral palsy
•Fragile X syndrome, or
•a moderate or greater vision or hearing impairment, including deafblindness.
From 1 January 2013, children who are aged under 6 years and have been diagnosed with Prader Willi, Williams, Angelman, Kabuki, Smith-Magenis, CHARGE, Cornelia de Lange or Cri du Chat syndromes or microcephaly will also be eligible for Better Start.
Children with one of the listed disabilities are also able to access Medicare items under the Better Start initiative.
If you require further information about the Better Start initiative, you are welcome to contact the Better Start Helpline on 1800 778 581. This helpline operates from 9:30am – 5:00pm Monday to Fridays (excluding public holidays).Specific enquiries can also be emailed to
Carers Australia provide unpaid care and support to family members and friends who have a disability, mental illness, chronic condition, terminal illness or who are frail.  More than one in eight Australians provide care of this kind.  The purpose of Carers Queensland is to improve the lives of carers.  They provide important services such as counselling, advice, advocacy, education and training.  They also promote the recognition of carers to governments, businesses and the public.
Centrelink assists people to become self-sufficient and supports those in need.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule
Financial support for basic dental services for children aged 2-17.
Eligibility Basics
·          Children aged between 2-17 years on any one day of the calendar year
·          Receive, or their family, guardian or carer receives, certain government benefits such as Family Tax Benefit Part A for at least part of the calendar year.
·          Are eligible for Medicare.
The Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS) provides specialist mental health services for children and young people and assistance to their families or carers.
Children with disability Australia are a not for profit community organisation for children with disability and their families.
Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres are information centres for older people, people with disabilities and those who provide care and services. Centres provide free and confidential information on community aged care, disability and other support services available locally, interstate or anywhere within Australia.
It promotes fair ticketing for people with a disability who have a lifelong need for the significant assistance of a companion to attend venues and activities.
The program will also support people in our community providing care to people with a disability.
Who can apply
To be eligible for a Companion Card you must demonstrate that you:
1.are a lawful Australian resident living in Queensland; and
2.have a disability; and
3.because of the impact of the disability, you are unable to participate at most community venues or activities without attendant care support and
4.need, or have a likely need, for lifelong attendant care support.
If your need for attendant care support is not permanent (that is, lifelong or likely to be lifelong), you are not eligible for a Companion Card.
Examples of situations where a person may not be eligible for a card include:
•experiencing temporary disability
•the need for attendant care support is not lifelong
•being affected by the inaccessibility of a particular venue.
There are no income or asset tests, nor any fees associated with the application process.
Helps people aged 5 years or more who have permanent and severe incontinence to meet some of the costs of incontinence products.
Growing Stronger went Live on 14 July 2011.  All client funding requirements (for existing and new clients) will now progress through the regional Intake and Assessment/Reassessment process.  Please refer to the Growing Stronger information regarding this process, which can be accessed via this link
You can contact Disability Services in a number of ways, but the easiest and most convenient method is by telephone. You can call Disability Services free of charge through Smart Service Queensland on 1800 177 120*, or you can phone your local Disability Services service centre direct.
The Mission of the Down Syndrome Association Queensland Inc. is to support, advocate for and empower Queensland children and adults with Down Syndrome, so they can be valued and contributing members of the community, as is their right.
LifeTec Queensland is a leading provider of information, consultation, and education on assistive technology that can help individuals improve their quality of life and remain independent. 1300 885 886
MASS - Eligibility information
Am I eligible? You may be eligible for MASS assistance if you are a permanent resident of Queensland AND you have a permanent and stabilised condition or disability AND you hold one of the following cards:
-   Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
-   Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Pensioner Concession Card (conditions apply)
-   Centrelink Health Care Card
-   Queensland Government Seniors Card
-   Centrelink Confirmation of Concession Card Entitlement Form (conditions apply).
For assistance completing forms you can contact the following providers:
·       Oz Care: 34821 800
·       Redcliffe Blue Care: 3283 4857 or 3284 2215
·       Sandgate Blue Care: 3269 1717
·       Community Health: 1300 658 252
·       Registered Nurse at your local General Practitioner
·       Pediatrician
·       Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist
Some people—such as people with multiple sclerosis (MS)—cannot regulate their body temperature. The Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme( ) helps eligible Queenslanders with an annual rebate of $230. For an application form, contact 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
Post School Transitioning
A free online resource that is very informative around the requirements for successful transition to post-school.
Project to support parents of children with a disability 
Free support for 30,000 parents of children with a disability and professionals who work with these children will be available through a new three-year program.
The Stepping Stones Triple P program is running across Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria and people interested in joining should fill in the
Relationships Australia (QLD) provides relationship support services to individuals, couples and families throughout Queensland.  Their services aim to strengthen and build relationships, resolve relationship breakdown issues and support the best interests of children through family separation.  They also offer a number of specialist counselling services, courses and education programs.  Please see their website for more information on their wide range of services.
All Queensland resident children four years of age or older who have not completed Year 10 of secondary school are eligible for publicly funded oral health care via Queensland Health's Child and Adolescent Oral Health Services (previously referred to as the School Dental Program). 
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme subsidises taxi travel for people with severe disabilities.
How much is the subsidy?
Half of the total taxi fare is subsidised (up to a maximum of $25 per trip).
How do I apply?
1.Complete Part A of the taxi subsidy application form (PDF)( This form is not currently available as an RTF—please call 1300 134 755 for form details.
2.Provide 2 passport size photos.
3.Visit your doctor or specialist and have them complete Parts B and C of the application form.
4.Mail the completed application with the photographs to:
Taxi Subsidy Unit
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 13347
Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme (VOSS). The Queensland Government has introduced the Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme (VOSS) to help eligible people have access to a modified vehicle. ... What is VOSS. The VOSS provides financial support for: a detailed assessment of vehicle modification requirements with a recommendation (prescription) for the best